The Perception of Beauty

I usually illustrate women naturally, in their casual life, without any sense of beauty. In my opinion some mediums such as; social media and advertisements have very negative impact on perception of beauty. Although there is a dramatic social pressure on us as men and women, we are also affected by the misleading appearance of the models and celebrities we see on the screens, and we have more trouble to resemble them. Today almost all women are alike. Everyone has the same wardrobe, the same 'Kim Kardashian' butt and the same aesthetic lip. I am completely opposed to the approach that the beautiful woman should have skinny and curvy body, a small and smooth nose and plump, glossy lips.


I, as a woman, experienced the difficulty caused by this perception of beauty. When I was overweight, I was ashamed of my body, I couldn’t dress as I want to, I was uncomfortable with my partner.  Although my weight didn’t adversely affect my health, I felt unhealthy and ugly. In time, I lost these extra weights and realized I was thinking wrong. I and many women like me got hurt and continue to get hurt because of this imposed beauty perception. 


Under the condition that being healthy; chubbiness or plumpness, cellulitis and stretch marks don’t make any woman ugly. A woman who has small breasts, roman nose or short legs can be really attractive and sexy.  


The awareness that started with my own body, provided me to see other chubby women more sympathetic. Due to these reasons, I prefer to draw them to show others how perception of beauty is a personal matter. 


Matisse’s women, colors and patterns, Botero’s fat people and one of the contemporary illustrator/animator Anna Ginsburg’s works are giving me inspiration.  


Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Structure of My Paper

Satire In Art History